Cdes header

College of Design

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Time To Say Goodbye


I’ve now officially graduated from the College of Design! Our ceremony was really nice, especially our student speakers— two of whom were my classmates in the graphic design program. They spoke about the impact that the College of Design has had on their lives, and their composure on the stage was awe-inspiring. If you’d like to check out their speeches as well as the rest of the commencement ceremony, you can watch it here! Ever since I listened to their speeches, I’ve been wondering what I would have said if I were in their place, and how I would describe how the College of Design has impacted my own life.

I’m definitely not the same person I was when I first entered this College, and honestly, I’m really grateful for that. I’ve always been the type to sit in the back of the classroom and avoid any eye contact when the teacher asks for volunteers. It was easier to just float on by on my own, stay quiet, keep my head down. I still completed my homework and did well on tests, so what did it matter if I didn’t speak up in a classroom setting?

However, when I started taking classes in the College of Design, I learned the importance of giving and receiving feedback in critiques, and my outlook on speaking up started to change. I was so grateful when one of my classmates would look at my designs and tell me what I was doing well or suggest an improvement, and I realized that I had valuable insights I could offer to them, too. Even if it was just a small amount of praise, I knew I could help reignite someone else’s passion for design, and that was an awesome feeling.

I started talking more in my classes. It was scary at first, and there were more than a few times where I awkwardly stumbled through my sentences because I didn’t know where I was going with whatever I was saying. But as time went on, I became more comfortable speaking out, and I attribute so much of this acquired confidence to my professors and classmates in the College of Design, who always encouraged an open dialogue in the classroom.

I’m going to keep speaking up, for myself and for the sake of others, as I continue my career into the design world. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to give a speech in front of hundreds of people like my classmates did, but who knows? Maybe I’ll get there someday.

Thank you, everyone who has been reading my blog posts these past two years. I hope you’re looking forward to hearing what the next graphic design student blogger has to say! I know I am.

Sincerely,

Jordan
Graphic Design