Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, April 17, 2017

Reminiscing on visiting Hong Kong

Hello Designers!

After being officially admitted into the Product Design program this past Friday, I've had a lot to be thankful for. When I came to the University as a freshman, I had no clue what I wanted to do, but I did know that I liked math, science, building things, and design. I thought I wanted to do Chemical Engineering from these interests that I had. My advisor instantly recommended that I at least take a look at the Product Design minor, and go on the CSE 1002 trip to Hong Kong on Product Development in January over winter break. From school, museum and industry visits, to taking a cable car to see the Tian Tan Buddha, this trip was filled with adventures. The thing that really stuck out to me throughout this trip, though, was how cool everything we saw was. I was fascinated by what I saw from students, what I saw from industries, and I thought to myself, "This is what I want to do with the rest of my life."


That's what drew me to the major I am doing today.  I was simply amazed by everything that I was seeing and I wanted to that everyday of my life. After taking toy design that next Spring, I knew that this was what I should do with my
life. Since Product Design wasn't yet a major, I had decided to just do the minor.  I was fortunate enough to be only a Sophomore when the major was released, so that I was able to turn my minor into a major.  Today, I am so grateful that I have gotten to be a part of such an amazing community, and I am excited to see what this last year of major courses entails for me and my friends.  We are beyond excited to (hopefully) be part of the first graduating class in Product Design at the University!

Thanks for listening,

I'll see you designers at home (Rapson),
Sarah