Cdes header

College of Design

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Spring Break Staycation and De-stressing!

Hello again!

Spring break is now coming to an end and it's time to get back in the mindset of school and work on finishing strong! There are 8 weeks left of the semester, which means 8 weeks left of my undergrad college career (!!!). This spring break I watched from home as my Instagram and Facebook feeds were filled with a bunch of photos of oceans and beaches.

My spring break would qualify as a staycation. I stayed in Minneapolis and just worked and relaxed! After each review in class, I typically like to take some time to decompress and relax before moving into the next phase. With spring break right after the schematic design reviews, it naturally gave me an opportunity to relax!

My break was pretty uneventful. I've mostly been spending it binge watching Netflix and thinking about things like jobs after graduation and all the things I need to get done before then... which was a little stressful! I'll be looking for a new place to live, locking down a job, getting everything ready for graduation, and not to mention completing my project! There's a lot to do at this time of year; whether graduating or not, a lot of people will begin looking for internships and figuring out plans for the summer.

Carving found in the brick of an old building while out for a walk.
Relates to the concept for my project because of the crossing
diagonal lines!
I just want to remind everyone not to forget to take some time to de-stress and do something you enjoy! Some people cope with stress by exercising or spending time with friends (for me doing crafts or cleaning works best). As the year comes to a close and finals approach, make sure to schedule some time each week to do things that help you get out of school mode and give you a mental break. Chances are, taking that time will make you more productively when you get back to work and will actually be beneficial! While working on my project today, I took a break to go for a walk in some nice spring-like weather. I came across an old brick building that had names, dates, and scribbles carved into it. It was super interesting and was the subject of my latest Instagram (pictured right). It actually turned out it relates to my project pretty well too — I might have to use it somehow!

I hope everyone had a good spring break! Until next time,
Megan
Interior Design