Cdes header

College of Design

Friday, March 31, 2017

Journey to the North

Last week was my third travel break and my second tour organized by DIS while studying in the Scandinavia program, a fantastic partner of the College of Design. Sweden and Finland were two Nordic countries that impressed me deeply, and in this passage I will write on Sweden.

Only five and a half hours by train from Copenhagen, we arrived at the Sweden's capital city, Stockholm. Fourteen lands and islands, 54 bridges across undulating typography (which is a great difference from Denmark) constitutes the exquisite landscape of this waterside town. 

Neutral in both world wars, Sweden was lucky to escape from the bombers, and because of that Gamla Stan (Old town) of Stockholm is definitely one of the most well-preserved urban pieces in Europe. Besides, the most sight-catching urban design is the metro station along the entire blue line, where Swedish designers not only maximize the original appearance underground but also artistically using colors to make the entire space vivid.

During the trip, we visited quite a few pieces of architecture designed by Gunnar Asplund, one of the most influential founders of modern European architecture. We also visited other interesting projects in the Royal Institute of Technology, Karolinska Institute, and the Vasa Museum, which is another spot I would definitely recommend visiting. Although the time was not sufficient to explore every corner, it was great that I learned so much.

I will upload the second part of my journey soon.
Andrew