Cdes header

College of Design

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Best Homework Assignment

Hello again!

The semester continues on, and with it does designing the HCMC North Loop Clinic. We're in the schematic phase now, which includes space planning and creating different layout options that meet the needs of the existing space and client.

I'm sure anyone in Minnesota noticed the amazing weather we've had this past weekend, especially considering it's only February. For those that aren't in Minnesota, we had an abnormally warm February weekend that got into the 60-degree range! With it, I got the best homework assignment — spend time outside and enjoy the weather! The goal was to find additional inspiration for our projects, but I'll take any excuse to get out and spend time outside in the great weather!

This week on the UMN Design Instagram, I posted a picture from my outdoors exploration that fit the concept for my clinic design. I love the look of this bridge and the diagonal lines the steel beams make and the wooden walkway going over the Mississippi. I'm hoping to translate those diagonal lines and also the contrast of the steel, industrial bridge with the nature of the Mississippi into my design for the clinic.

I hope everyone was able to enjoy the nice weather this weekend! In studio we will be working on the schematic phase of our project for a couple more weeks and will be presenting our ideas in early March; following that we will be beginning the design development phase of the project. Every day is getting closer to graduation!!!

Until next time,
Megan
Interior Design