Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, February 6, 2017

Backstage at Instinct

We started off the day bright and early by sending our models to hair and makeup. It’s a long process, but it makes a huge difference in the way your look is perceived.






The next task was photos. When the look is on the model and in front of the camera, that’s when it really comes alive. I felt an immense amount of pride watching the seniors take their pictures. I know how hard everyone worked and the end result was absolutely stunning. It’s crazy to think that that’s going to be me next year.





Before the show, I also got to give my Project Diva mentee a behind-the-scenes tour. Read more about my work with Project Diva here. Zaria loved seeing how we put the show together.

The look I showed was a swimsuit embellished with Swarovski crystals. I remember spending days in the studio hand gluing each of the crystals on. For a designer, all that hard work is worth it when your model steps onto the runway. When that happens, you’ve got 20 seconds of the audience’s undivided attention. For 20 seconds, the only thing that matters is that you made that garment! As Juniors, we were just the opener. I can’t imagine how it’s going to feel when we’re the main event.

Quinessa