Cdes header

College of Design

Friday, January 27, 2017

Finding Inspiration

It’s good to be back to class! This winter break was a nice respite from my thesis, but after a couple of weeks I was itching to get back to work on my final project. While I was on break, though, I took some time to relax and enjoy some of the cool attractions that Minneapolis has to offer.

My family and I went to see A Christmas Carol at the Guthrie, and I cannot even begin to describe the production value of that show! The set design was incredible… as was the acting, of course. But if anything was going to win over my nerdy heart, it was going to be the props and backdrops. There were so many thoughtful details added to the interior of Scrooge’s home that made it feel so real, and the perspective of the backdrop made the stage look like it continued on for miles down an old English road in the city. I wish I’d thought to take a picture of it all before the show started!

I also went to visit the Minneapolis Institute of Arts to see its exhibit on the life of Martin Luther, and, man, were there a LOT of awesome old books. The paintings were great, sure, and the clothes they had on display were cool, but the books were by far my favorite. The amount of effort that went into each of these books, whether they were handwritten, typeset or illustrated, just blows my mind. I can’t imagine a world in which books were such a luxury, you know? Now we could probably print out a pdf of most of these books if we wanted to. It makes you wonder how much further book design and technology will advance in the next 500 years.

I could go on and on about these awesome experiences, but I think it’s time to focus on what I need to do to get my thesis project ready for exhibition at the end of the semester. Thankfully, after seeing such cool design over the break, I’m feeling more inspired than ever to create something that people will love. And who knows? Maybe what I make will inspire someone else, too.

Until next time!

Jordan

Graphic Design