Cdes header

College of Design

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Packing 101

Hello hello everyone!

As I've been studying abroad this semester in London, I've done a lot of traveling on the weekends. Most of the time I'm constricted to a backpack on the plane, and packing 3 days worth of things inside of it seemed like an impossible task. As a Retail Merchandising & College of Design student I definitely appreciate fashion, personal style, color, etc. as I'm sure most of my peers do as well in one way or another. Here are a couple things I think of as I prepare for a weekend away with limited space. Should you choose to study abroad, hopefully these will help you when you're packing for your next weekend getaway.
Cliffs of Moher--from my weekend in Ireland!

1. My favorite dark wash jeans. Let's be real, we all wear jeans more than once. Dark wash is perfect because you can wear them during the day as well as transition them to night.

2. A couple of basic tops. My typical travel outfit will be white, black, grey, or a mixture of all three. Keeping things simple guarantees you'll be comfortable and chic.

3. Wear your bulkiest items on the plane. I always wear my sneakers while I travel and pack my booties. Also, I always wear my leather jacket underneath my coat so I don't have to pack it.

4. Shower right before you go to the airport! If you're okay with showering every other day, do this so you can skip packing the shower related toiletries to save room.

These are just a few of the tips I have for making the most of the limited packing space you may have while traveling. In a perfect world, airlines wouldn't charge for checked bags am I right?

Check out all of the awesome study abroad programs that the U of M offers here!

Molly
Retail Merchandising