Cdes header

College of Design

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

A Thousand Words

After a semester’s worth of work, I’m finally finished writing my senior thesis paper! It’s been a long time coming, and I’ve definitely learned a lot thanks to all of the research I’ve done, but wow does it feel good to be finished with this.

I love writing nearly as much as I love designing (if not more on some days!), so I’ve enjoyed this writing process. I know some of my peers haven’t been quite as enthusiastic about actually writing this paper, and I certainly can’t blame them. Sixteen pages makes for a lot of writing! It helps when you’re writing about something you care about, but even then, it can be hard to describe in words why your passions are so important to you. That’s one way that the design of your book can speak for your passion in a way that words can’t—especially in an academic paper, which is driven by facts rather than emotions.

I think that’s why I’ve been struggling to finalize the design of my book. I just haven’t been able to convey my message correctly with my layout and the graphic elements that I’m adding to my paper. I know what I want to say with my design; I just haven’t found the right way to say it yet. I don’t have much time left to figure it out, with the end of the semester coming so soon!

The next time you hear from me, I’ll have finished my book and I’ll finally be able to share my designs. Until then, you can have a preview of some of the illustrations I’m working on.



I'll post some more pictures of my book in progress on the College of Design Instagram, so feel free to check us out there, too.

Wish me luck, and good luck to everyone else on their finals!

Jordan

Graphic Design