Cdes header

College of Design

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Time for a Break!

Hi Everyone!

I did it, I made it through midterm week. Those of you who have crossed the finish line already: pat yourselves on the back--you earned it. Those of you still searching for the light at the end of the tunnel: don't worry, you'll make it through.

Midterms are a stressful period for all of us, even when abroad. Contrary to popular belief, being abroad isn't all just traveling and doing fun things -- it actually includes homework and projects too --who knew?! I've been working really hard the past few days -- each of my five classes assigned papers and presentations so I've had my hands full. Staring at my screen all day has made it really hard to stay focused. After a while, all of the sentences, web pages and citations all blend together. Because I know a lot of you are probably going through a similar struggle, here's a short list of things I've been doing every so often to refocus myself:

Probably the most beautiful place to walk through, the Palace of VerSailles
1. Take walks. There's truly nothing like the fresh air to clear your mind and make you feel rejuvenated.

2. Take a water break. There's something about the refreshing feeling that just wakes you up!

3. Switch up the tunes. Whenever I'm starting to zone out, I change my Spotify station from
"Deep Focus" to something a little bit more exciting like "Latin Pop Hits". Those of you who don't have Spotify, I highly recommend downloading it. There's a playlist for every occasion and they have a 50% student discount. Check it out here!

4. Talk to a friend. Whether it's in person or over the phone, it will improve your mood and gives your eyes a break from looking at screens (we're all guilty of checking social media on our phones while taking breaks from our computer).

Hope these ideas help make your midterms a bit easier to conquer. Good luck!

Molly
Retail Merchandising