Cdes header

College of Design

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Technical Design Studio

One of the classes I am taking this semester is ADes 3227, Technical Design Studio. At the beginning of the semester, we were each assigned a category that we did the creative design for, and my category was little girls. Then, we were given someone else’s creative design to do the technical design. After that, we’re given a technical design to create a pattern for, which is passed on to someone else to make the sample. From the sample, we choose 6 garments to put into production. Our studio class has become a little factory. All of the garments we make will be sent to the Blue House, an orphanage in Uganda, and school in Mexico, supported by Keys4Life.


This is definitely one of the most difficult classes I’ve taken in the apparel program thus far. There’s a lot of pressure to do each job well, because it affects everyone else who has to work on that garment. While it’s the most difficult, I believe it is probably one of the most important studios. I’ve learned a lot that I’ll need in the apparel industry. A lot of the things I’ve learned I have been able to apply to my work at my internship at WSI Sports. It’s cool to have a real world application for these lessons, and it’s satisfying to know that our designs are helping real people.

(my creative sketch that was chosen for production)
I'll be sure to keep you updated on studio via the CDes Instagram!

xoxo,
Quinessa