Cdes header

College of Design

Friday, November 25, 2016

Making (re)connections

Thanks to the College of Design mentor program, I’ve been matched with a mentor working in the industry that I will be meeting with throughout the year! We’ll be chatting about her work, my thesis, and the transition from “student” to “professional.” I’ve been looking forward to finding out who my match is, and when I received the email telling me who I was paired with, I actually recognized the name! She graduated from the College of Design last year, and we worked together on a group project for our History of Graphic Design class.

The mentor program kick-off at McNamara Alumni Center
It was really nice to not have to worry about breaking the ice when we first met up. When you’ve collaborated with someone on a presentation that you give to 85 people, you know you’re well past the awkward small talk stage of the relationship. We just got right to talking about how our last year has been, and she told me about her new job working as a web designer. I’m looking forward to getting her advice on my portfolio and my thesis project, and I’m excited to learn more about the projects she’s working on, too!

The mentor program applications are closed for this year, but you can visit their site to learn more about this opportunity. It’s already been helpful to my development as a professional, and I would recommend it to anyone who is able to participate, whether as a student or a mentor.

Until next time!

Jordan

Graphic Design