Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, November 14, 2016

Crafting My Thesis

These past two weeks I have been working tirelessly on my senior thesis. Right now, I’m taking a class on writing the final paper that will present my research, and next semester I will take a class devoted to turning that research into a fleshed out design project. If you're interested, you can check out these courses here (although you'll need to scroll to the bottom of the page to find them)!

My favorite thing about the final thesis project is that we can choose to research anything. Literally anything. Do you want to learn more about how dinosaurs and birds are genetically similar? Maybe you want to research art therapy? Or you have a passion for parkour? You can write your thesis on any of these topics—and those topics I just listed are just a few of the actual topics my classmates are studying.

The graphic design senior exhibition from December 2015

I love having the freedom to research whatever I want, because now I have the chance to research something I’m really passionate about. My topic is gender representation in the media, and I’m researching the benefits of having a wide variety of characters in each gender, whether it’s in a movie, book, video game, etc.

It’s been interesting to research this subject, but I have to admit, I’m much more interested in thinking about how I’m going to present my final design project. I could design a video game, or create a webcomic, or even just make a series of advertisements for fictional cartoons featuring a really diverse cast of characters. There are so many possibilities, and it’s really exciting! But for now, I should probably focus on finishing this paper. I’ve still got a lot of work to do!

Until next time!

Jordan

Graphic Design