Cdes header

College of Design

Sunday, November 6, 2016

A MINOR makes a MAJOR difference

In addition to being an apparel design major, I have a minor in social justice. Having a minor in a field completely unrelated to my major has been A LIFE SAVER for me! It’s nice to take a break from design work and really think outside of myself. The apparel design program is very small and we’re all very close, but it’s nice to have the chance to meet new people. I think balance is really important. Having a well-rounded class load really helps me to not get too burnt out in any one class.

I’ve also been having a lot of fun trying to figure out ways to relate the two subjects. Last year in Apparel Studio III, we had to make a garment inspired by the Andy Warhol exhibit at the Weisman Art Museum out of non-traditional materials. I made a dress out of VHS tape film. The dress was inspired by the lack of representation of people of color in the film industry. This project sparked my interest in social justice.



I am loving my minor so far and I can’t wait to see where it takes me!

If you’re looking for a minor check out this list here.

xoxo,
Quinessa