Cdes header

College of Design

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Senior Thesis: Getting Started

Hello again!

My senior year is quickly in full swing now with projects. During senior year, the interior design program has a fall semester research class, in which the class collectively writes an in-depth thesis, and a spring semester studio in which each student completes the design portion of the thesis.

Right now, I'm in the midst of the research course. We have received the information on our project; we will be designing a primary care clinic for HCMC to be located in the TractorWorks Building in the North Loop neighborhood of Minneapolis. We've all been researching our designated portions of the thesis. I've been researching building codes and infection control and was also assigned as a member of the team to complete Chapter One. This week, I got to go on a visit to the site (pictures included) to see the space that will actually be turned into the clinic.

This space will be a challenge given all the columns, which should make for some interesting design solutions between the class! I'm excited to see the different things the class comes up with. We will be having the same basis of information from the written thesis, and the same project briefing information, but to see the variety of design solutions that will come out of the class is always very interesting.

I'll be sure to keep updating the blog on the progress of our thesis, and at the end of the year, I'll be able to share my completed design of the clinic. It will be a long process, but with thorough research and a semester of consciously designing, I hope to share a beautiful and thoughtful clinic design!

Until next time,
Megan
Interior Design