Cdes header

College of Design

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Writing Up My Summer

It’s good to be back on this blog!

I’ve been working hard at my internship, and I’ll still be with Make-A-Wish until mid-November! It’s already been such a valuable experience, just going into an office and working instead of spending all of my time in the classroom. I used to be so worried about making the transition from being a full-time student to a full-time professional once I’ve graduated, mostly because I’d had no office experience. Now I can know what an office environment is like, and it’s much less intimidating than I thought it would be.

I’ve been redesigning a lot of the documents that Make-A-Wish uses for its communication purposes, such as thank you letters for donators and profiles for their wish children. I’ve also been creating images for social media, which is something I’ve never done before! (…well, something I’ve never done for someone else. I’ve definitely designed a header or two for myself.) You can check out their Facebook page if you'd like to see a bit of what I've made.



Not only have I been designing for social media, I’ve been writing as well! One of my main tasks is drafting the copy for their daily Facebook and Twitter posts. The foundation has very strict guidelines for the messages they send to their audience, so I’ve been learning a lot about how to tailor my writing to suit a brand’s image. It’s been a process, but I’m proud of what I’ve learned so far.

Between my internship, my new thesis writing class, and this blog, I’ll be writing a lot this semester. It looks like these next few months are gonna be all write.

(I'm sorry, that was terrible.)

Jordan

Graphic Design