Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, September 19, 2016

Starting off Senior Year


Hey Everyone!

This past summer was a great break, but I am very excited to be back at school. I still can’t believe this is my senior year of college. Since I was accepted into the accelerated program, this also is my first year of graduate school in the Masters of Landscape Architecture program. These first two weeks of school have just flown by.  They have been filled with classes, our first studio course, meeting new and old professors and students and more!

Before classes officially started, I had the opportunity to accompany my fellow first year grad students and some of our incredible faculty up to Lake Itasca for a workshop. This 5-day trip allowed us to all get to know each other as well as our professor before we began classes. During this time, we were refreshed on the basic tenants of landscape architecture as a practice in lectures and through exploring the beautiful state park surrounding us. We spent each day out in the field looking at various landscapes and discussed their ecological and aesthetic factors and how this can inform how we create space for humans to interact with. One of my favorite landscapes we explored and analyzed was the Frenchman’s Bluff Scientific and Natural Area. This was a beautiful prairie bluff landscape that overlooked the surrounding area. Overall, this workshop was such an amazing experience and a great way to bond with my fellow classmates that I will be with for the next 3 years! I can’t wait to see what other new experiences I will have in the year coming!

Sketching demo at Frenchman's Bluff
Esker Landscape
End of the workshop bonfire



Cameron
Landscape Design and Planning