Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, September 26, 2016

Senior Year is Here!

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to be back for another, final year of blogging about my experiences in the College of Design's Interior Design Program. It's now my senior year, yahoo!

I spent this summer completing my internship, which allowed me to gain a ton of experience and also get college credit. I worked at Miller Dunwiddie Architecture and got to be involved in an array of different things.

A section of the library at MDA that I helped maintain.

I worked on a variety of project types I haven't had a chance to in school, such as aviation, education, theaters, restaurants, and churches. I got to work on construction drawings, maintaining the library, attending meetings, ordering samples, designing custom graphics, and even assisting marketing with deliverables to try to obtain new projects. It was a very well-rounded experience and I feel like I gained a lot of knowledge in a lot of areas in a relatively short amount of time.

I'm really excited to be continuing the internship throughout the school year so I can continue to learn new things and gain experience.
Examples of finish selections pulled for an office project.

The things learned in an internship experience really are invaluable, and I encourage anyone to go for internships even before they are required for school credit. You learn a lot in a short amount of time and make really important connections with professionals. So even starting your freshman year, there are opportunities out there -- if you search -- that can give you a head start in gaining experience and additional knowledge outside of school. Check out GoldPASS for options or stop into IMS (International Market Square) where you can visit a bunch of places in one stop and find out if anyone is looking to hire. It's never to early to start gaining experience and it will do nothing but benefit you throughout school and even after when you are looking for a job.

I look forward to continuing to post throughout my senior year and sharing my experiences with you as I approach graduation!

Until next time,

Megan
Interior Design