Cdes header

College of Design

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Looking Forward


Finals week is finally over, and all of my projects have wrapped up nicely. My favorite out of all of them was the Chocolate Cards brand that you can see on the right. The illustrations were a lot of work, but they came together nicely!

This was my fourth and final year as a full time student, but I still have two more classes I need to take before I can graduate. Next year I’ll be taking one class each semester in order to finish off my degree, and to make up for the lack of coursework I’ll hopefully be doing some professional design work.


I’ve just started working as a graphic design and communications intern at the Make-A-Wish Foundation for their Minnesota chapter. It was a little overwhelming at first because their branding guidelines are quite detailed and very strict, but I feel like I’m starting to get the hang of things! I’ll be designing print and web collateral for them, and I’ll be doing some copy writing as well! I think this internship will be a good way to bulk up my writing skills, and I’ll hopefully have a few pieces to add to my portfolio after all is said and done.

This internship lasts six months, so I’ll be working with Make-A-Wish well into the fall—which is great, since I’ll only be a part-time student! Once my internship ends in November, I’ll be dedicating all of my time to polishing my portfolio and getting my thesis together. I have a vague idea of what I might like to do for my final project as a graphic design student, but only time will tell if that idea comes to fruition! Until then, I’ll do my best to enjoy the summer and make the most of my internship.

See you next semester!

Jordan


Graphic Design