Cdes header

College of Design

Friday, April 1, 2016

Life-saving apps!

Hello everyone! I hope that the adjustment back to school post-spring break wasn’t too challenging. I thought it might be helpful to talk a little bit about what apps I use to help me stay (or get!) on track as a busy college student. These are the apps that I reach for the most…and almost all of them are free and work on both iPhones and Androids!


1.       MyFitnessPal
Fitness and Nutrition

As a self-proclaimed “lazy” person, this app really helps me.  With a lower metabolism combined with a higher stress level, my 20s have required me to start paying attention to my fitness and nutrition. Even if you aren’t a gym person, this app allows you to look up any food and drink. I’ve yet to find a meal that wasn’t already in the system! It also allows you to set fitness goals if you’re an aspiring fitness-newbie like me and helps to keep you on track.

2.       Mint
Budgeting

One of the hardest parts about college is learning how to balance your own finances. I’ve tried a variety of budgeting apps throughout my time at college, and I feel this is the one that works best for me. It’s extremely simple and straightforward and lets you see where your money is actually going.

3.       Uber
Transportation
One of my favorite parts about going to the U is the fact that we live in a hugely exciting and diverse city. Without having a car, exploring the Twin Cities could be hard. Uber is here to help! Just be safe and take it with friends.

4.       Any.Do
Organization
This is my all-time favorite app. You can organize them all in one list, or divide them into a personal and work to-do list. You can even get points for completing tasks, which is hugely motivating for me!

5.       iTrackMyTime
Time Management
The final app has been highly recommended to me by my friends. It is only available for iPhone and costs $1.99, but so many people swear by it. This app allows you to prioritize your tasks and improve your time management skills. It allows you to visually see how much time you are putting into your daily activities.

While most apps usually distract me, all of these programs have helped me become more successful in college! Technology truly fascinates me. It has significantly improved my life by helping me be more organized, healthy, and wiser with my money.

Have a good week!

Jess