Cdes header

College of Design

Friday, March 25, 2016

The Search Is On

It’s that time of the year—the time to start applying for summer internships. I’ve been polishing my resume, updating my personal website (which you can get a glimpse of on the left), and writing cover letter after cover letter. The process is a bit tedious at times, but it’s actually pretty common for advertising and design firms to include unordinary requirements in their applications. One business asked me what my “spirit animal” was. Another wants me to submit an anti-cover letter, where I use some other medium to let them get to know me, be it a haiku or an interpretive dance. It’s been a fun challenge, thinking creatively about these questions and coming up with solutions that will best represent who I am and what I’m capable of.


I visited with a Career and Internships advisor a couple years ago and left the meeting with a wealth of resources I could use when I was ready to start looking for internships, including some great websites to look for graphic design internships. One such site is the Minnesota Non Profit Job Board. The best way to search for design and marketing jobs is to select “Public Relations and Marketing” as your job category. Another great site is the Minneapolis Egotist, which has a wealth of positions available in some really good local firms.


If you’re looking for an internship in the near future, best of luck! Hopefully you and I have some success in our searches.

Jordan
Graphic Design