Cdes header

College of Design

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Learning About Logos

In my Identity and Symbols class, we’ve all been learning about the logo development process for the past several weeks. I’ve never done any logo exploration before so this was a whole new world for me! It seems intimidating, trying to condense a brand into a single image, but it’s a fun challenge at the same time.

One thing I’ve never known about creating a logo is that it has to work in black and white as well as in color. It sounds obvious when you put it like that, but I’ve never really considered just how important the form of the logo is to its strength as a symbol. If you need different colors to differentiate between different aspects of your logo, then you’re not making it properly. A logo needs to have a strong silhouette at its foundation, and once you have that, then you can add color!


I’ve been working on developing a logo these past few weeks, and I’ve only just finalized the black and white version. This is a logo for a children’s dentistry organization called Bright Minds, Bright Smiles, which you can learn more about by clicking on this link! It’s a volunteer project that aims to teach inner-city children how to properly take care of their teeth. I wanted to design a logo that was kid-friendly and approachable yet still professional, and after going through several different versions I’ve settled on this for my logo! Now comes the next challenge: adding color. Do I keep it simple with elementary reds, blues, and yellows? Or should I go for something more complementary for heightened contrast? I’m still not sure, but I’m looking forward to trying things out!


Jordan
Graphic Design