Cdes header

College of Design

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Choosing a Minor

Hello everyone! As the middle of the semester is approaching, I thought I would talk a little about declaring a minor.

When I first chose my minor, I originally felt very overwhelmed. I had a lot of different interests, but I knew that I wanted to be practical and choose a minor that would apply to my development or career. I think picking a minor is a great way to choose an additional field that you are interested in. While it is additional coursework and there is extra paperwork to file, I think having a minor is a great way to explore a new area of study, as well as get a leg up on other applicants in the "real" world.

I actually got into my leadership minor through a class I took for a liberal education credit. I was interested in taking a course completely different from my business and design classes. After taking the introduction course for the minor, I decided that it was something that I really was interested in. I think this minor has really helped me step out of my comfort zone. What I have learned in class has definitely helped me out with interviews and conflicts at work.
 

Again, having a minor is a great way to learn a new skill and to continue making yourself the best person you can be!

Jess