Cdes header

College of Design

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Choosing a Minor


Hey everyone,

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am minoring in horticulture. This means that I take 18 credits of classes that are related to horticultural science. This semester I am taking two classes that fulfill these requirements for my minor. One class is a lab that looks into the production of plants. A portion of this class is working in the greenhouse growing different plants. The other class discusses ecological restoration, which involves design and management of restoration projects.
Gladiolus seedlings from my Plant Productions lab

Having this minor in horticulture allows me to take classes that let me explore my interest in plant science as well as providing supplemental information that applies to my major in landscape design and planning. The University, and the College of Design specifically, has a variety of minors available. When deciding on whether or not to have a minor or what minor to choose, I found there were two factors that influenced my decision:
1.     Pick a minor that you are interested in and want to learn more about. I have always loved plants and learning about their different functions in the environment and landscape.
2.     Choose a minor that relates to your major. This can be an opportunity to explore other subjects that collaborate with your field of study.

Having a minor can be a nice resume booster that can help you stand apart from others in your field as well as letting you explore something that really interests you. 

Cameron
Landscape Design and Planning