Cdes header

College of Design

Thursday, September 10, 2015

We're Back!

Hey everyone!

I seem to say this every year, but I cannot believe that it is already September! With classes starting this week, I am excited to be back. There is so much activity and anticipation on campus at the beginning of the new semester. Everyone is busy moving in, buying textbooks for their new classes, and catching up with friends and classmates.


When I wasn't working this summer, I had the chance to visit North Carolina. I stayed on the beach in Topsail Island and it was so relaxing to wake up to the sound of the waves every morning! When I wasn’t enjoying the sun and beach, I explored the surrounding area and environments. One of my favorite places to visit was the Airlie Gardens in Wilmington, NC. With over 67 acres of gardens, every place I walked had a beautiful view of the surrounding landscape. These gardens are known for having more than 100,000 azaleas (which unfortunately weren’t in bloom) as well as a beautiful oak tree that is 467 years old! Having a minor in horticulture, I was very fascinated by all the different plants throughout the gardens. Since the climate of North Carolina is not the same as Minnesota, the variety of plants and species are somewhat different from here. I found it interesting to be able to compare the plants and landscapes of the Airlie Gardens to those at the U of M's Minnesota Landscape Arboretum.
magnolia bloom
467 year old oak tree


Have a great week of class!

Cameron
Landscape Design and Planning