Cdes header

College of Design

Friday, February 20, 2015

Photographer/Artist Spotlight

Hello everyone!

For one of my design electives this semester, I am taking GDes 2361 Design Process: Photography. This is actually the second photography class I've taken at the U of M and I'm having a blast! For today's class, we were assigned to present about a photographer of our choice. Upon doing some research, I came across this absolutely incredible photographer/artist, JR. I was so intrigued, inspired, and am still completely in awe with him, that I wanted to share his work with you all!

Starting as a graffiti artist at age 15 and beginning his photographing career at 17, JR is a contemporary French artist and photographer born in 1983 who photographs portraits of people around the world. He then photocopies these portraits and pastes them all over different cities.

WAH 2.jpg

Through his photography and exhibitions, JR's goal is to create dialogues and discussions among those experiencing various conflicts. He wants to create a new dynamic in these countries and hopes that his work will change societies' world views.

In my opinion, his work is incredibly beautiful and moving, but don't take my word for it, check out his website!

He also has an absolutely phenomenal TED Talk that is a must-see as well.

Until next time,

Leah
Graphic Design