Cdes header

College of Design

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Designer in London

Well I'm in my sixth week of this 14-week program at Central Saint Martins. The work I'm doing here is definitely different compared to back home at the University of Minnesota, and it has made me appreciate the knowledge that that the College of Design has given me. Both of the schools have amazing qualities and I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to experience them both. That said, I guess no matter where you go, as long as you are in a fashion design program, you are in for a lot of work. So if you are thinking about doing fashion as a career, be prepared.

Studying here requires a lot of independent work, self-motivation, and being comfortable with ambiguity. These are qualities that a good designer should be comfortable with. Along with those qualities, a good designer also knows the importance of research and development to really give their designs creativity and uniqueness.

One of my teachers here said something that really stuck with me: "If you design from your head, without any research and development, you may come up with great designs in the beginning, but it will eventually run out, because you only design things that you already know." That's some knowledge I learned here, that I'm giving to you. Research can be tedious, especially if you already have ideas that you are set on. But research, if done correctly, can take your designs and ideas to the next level.

Here are some things that I've been working on here:

Learning to use the knitting machine.
Knitting Machine.jpg

Jewelry class experimentation.
Jewellery Class.jpg

Go to http://design.umn.edu/images/blogs/studentblog_convert/ to follow my blog and keep up with my life studying here in London. Also, make sure to check out the UMNDesign Instagram to see some of my pics.

Lee
Apparel Design