Cdes header

College of Design

Sunday, April 20, 2014

What does HECUA mean?!

HECUA stands for Higher Education Consortium for Urban Affairs.

But who cares...

I do!

This next semester, in Fall 2014, I will be participating in HECUA's Inequality in America: Policy, Community, and the Politics of Empowerment program. It is an off-campus study program where I will be focusing on the real-world challenges of poverty, inequality, and social change. In-class learning is combined with out of class internships, making it a comprehensive, real-life applicable learning experience.

hecua1.jpghecua2.jpg
This week I will be mailing in my Participation Agreement for HECUA :) Very exciting!

HECUA will be a good fit for me because of my goals in housing. I want my career to lead me to a place where I will be working with those who face racial discrimination and other societal obstacles, and helping them find and get situated in affordable, adequate housing.

hecua3.png

I urge you to check out the website at https://www.hecua.org/ and see how HECUA could benefit your learning. It is sweet that the University of Minnesota has partnered with HECUA, allowing for this program to contribute to my major credits in Housing Studies.

Stay sharp :)
Karly, Housing Studies B.S.