Cdes header

College of Design

Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Job Search

My search for summer employment continues and it's getting very close to the end of the year. I'm so determined to find something involving interior design for the summer but I didn't expect it to be so difficult! Since I'll be home for the summer, I've been searching for places near my house and I was actually amazed by all the interior design places around me!
Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 11.36.48 AM.png
My search started with Google and turned up with quite a few firms. My mom had got this magazine for me called Artful Living, it's a local magazine that features interior design, architecture, cooking, and fashion. The photo to the left is of the cover of the latest issue incase you want to check it out! They feature an online version on their website as well for you to take a look at! It's a huge modge-podge of things but it included a lot of names of interior design firms in the Twin Cities area!

After my research, it's time to start contacting the places. I'll be sending out my resume and portfolio, hopefully landing a summer position for myself! The Career & Internship Services is a resource at the U that can help students in their internship and job search. They can help you put together a resume and portfolio which increases the chances of landing a job because of your impressive portfolio! I'll be using their advice when I reach out to these companies.

It's getting closer to the end of my freshman year! Portfolio review is getting closer and closer and finals are approaching quickly too. As much as I want finals out of the way and to be able to enjoy the summer weather, I'm sad to see it coming to an end. I still have three years but it's amazing how quickly this first year has flown by! There's still a lot to do but I'll be making the most of the end of this year! Good luck to everyone on finishing up the year and wish me luck with my job search!

Megan
Interior Design