Cdes header

College of Design

Sunday, April 27, 2014

"Cool" Final Project

With only two weeks of class left, final projects and presentations are kicking into high gear. One of the biggest tasks I have yet to complete is a two-part final project for my surface design class. It's an extremely open ended assignment; the only requirements are that it include an "experimental" component (i.e. something you've never tried before) and a "planned" component that utilizes some other type of media. For my experimental portion I decided to try a new dyeing technique called "ice dyeing," where fabric is placed on a rack, covered with ice, and then sprinkled with dye powder. As the ice melts, the dye reaches the fabric at different rates and creates a really interesting effect. The technique is pretty unpredictable, so after trying a couple times I still came up with completely different results.

IceDye1.jpg

IceDye2.jpgIceDye3.jpg


For the next portion of the project, I plan to choose an an area from one of these fabrics, photograph it, and convert it into a color separation that I can use to create a visual identity system for a fictitious fabric store specializing in hand-crafted textiles. I plan to hand print business cards and product labels, as well as several other components. It's a pretty ambitious project, but I'm really looking forward to it!

Kate
Graphic Design