Cdes header

College of Design

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Curveball

So, I have some not-so-great news to share.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the merchandising internship with Nordstrom. Of course, I was super bummed and disappointed in myself. I made it to the final round interviews and had gone through the 3 month process for nothing (or so it felt like at the time). I'll admit, I spent about 1 day feeling discouraged and sorry for myself.

Then I started to think of all that I had accomplished since initially applying for the position back in December. I had networked with numerous current employees, had several meetings with our career counselors, had the opportunity to speak with actual buyers at Nordstrom, and was in a group of 80 out of 1,400 to make it to the final round. Well that doesn't sound so bad, right? I started to take inventory of all that I had done and began to realize that although I didn't come out of this with an internship, I had learned so much about the process, and also about myself. I realized that feeling sorry for myself would not get me a job, so I picked myself up and started right back in with my job search.

I learned (and am still learning) a valuable lesson through this disappointment. There are always going to be obstacles and road blocks, whether it's with classes, job searches, or just life, but what matters is the action we take after encountering those obstacles. Are we going to feel sorry for ourselves or be proactive and take a different approach to reach our goals? I'm definitely going to try to take the latter approach, and encourage you all, no matter what you encounter, to do the same :)

Inspiration2.jpg


Stay Fabulous,
Katie