Cdes header

College of Design

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Big Papers and Cool Sources

Last week for my Cities, Citizens, and Community class, I turned in a 12-page paper titled "Minneapolis Hit Hard by Foreclosures, but Minorities Hit Harder: The Foreclosure Crisis in North Minneapolis". It was a very good paper to write, as I was able to learn about such a complex issue, such as the foreclosure crisis, and I got to learn about how it affected different areas and people in the Twin Cities. What was also fun about doing the research was that many of the sources I used were authored by University of Minnesota professors, one of them being Housing Studies Professor Jeff Crump! So that was pretty cool, knowing that I had truly reliable sources. Below I have pasted a bit from my introduction paragraph, if you're interested in reading. :)

"While the foreclosure crisis negatively impacted the economy and the U.S. as a whole, it also affected different groups of people in different ways. When compared to the rest of the Twin Cities, residents of North Minneapolis were disproportionately affected by the foreclosure crisis; North Minneapolis is located at the top of the City of Minneapolis, and it consists of the communities Near North and Camden. As a community with a greater percentage of racially and ethnically diverse households, residents of North Minneapolis experienced discrimination through the use of predatory subprime lending. The foreclosure crisis left North Minneapolis in disarray, but the city, as well as the state of Minnesota, has made efforts to alleviate the distress and to prevent further foreclosures."

I hope the rain doesn't get you down this week!

singin in the rain.jpg
Gene Kelly in "Singin' in the Rain"

Stay sharp :D
Karly, Housing Studies B.S.