Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, January 6, 2014

AAAS Minor

To go alongside my Housing Studies major I have declared the African-American & African Studies minor. I will be starting some of my minor classes this next semester, and I am truly looking forward to it!

According to the Wilder Foundation, while the Black/African American population makes up only 5% of the adult population of Minnesota, they make up 38% of the homeless adults in the state (check the info out for yourself, click here). That is quite unbalanced. This is why I feel the AAAS minor would go appropriately with my Housing Studies major. There must be a better way. And from having already had a semester of classes with my Housing Studies professors, I know this is an issue that will not be ignored when it comes up. Topics in class have not shied away from the discrimination and issues certain populations face when it comes to housing. I love Housing Studies because it sees the real issues and addresses them, all for the benefit of real people.

homelessness-look-away.jpg
This is a scary image. Is it true? Do we sometimes ignore homelessness?
http://skepticalcubefarm.wordpress.com/2013/07/26/homelessness-gender-and-invisibility/

Stay sharp :)
Karly, Housing Studies B.S.