Cdes header

College of Design

Saturday, November 2, 2013

SUIT UP!

Not many similarities can be made between me and Barney Stinson of "How I Met Your Mother". But last Monday as I prepared for the Government and Nonprofit Career Fair, I suited up!

suit.jpg
As I stared off into the distant sun, I contemplated all that my suit had done for me.
SUITUP.jpg
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/barney-stinson/images/31132859/title/barney-stinson-wallpaper

Let's get real. While it was important for me to look professional in front of potential future employers, suiting up is not what prepared me. Rather, I went to the College of Design Career and Internship Services website. As I've mentioned before, it's full of valuable resources. Since a career fair is just like a bunch of mini interviews, one after the other, I watched the site's video on interviews. Feel free to watch it for yourself! http://www.careerhelp.umn.edu/interviews.html.

Upon leaving the career fair, I realized that it could have been a lot scarier if I hadn't known what I wanted to do. Because I know that I want to work directly with families looking for low-income housing, I was able to weed out many of the organizations that were at the fair, and then focus on the ones that I liked. In the future, I could see myself working for a handful of the employers that I met at the career fair, and it's really exciting that a Housing Studies degree could do so much for me!

Stay Sharp :)
-Karly, Housing Studies B.S.