Cdes header

College of Design

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Stone's Throw

stonethrow1.jpg stonethrow2.jpg Over the past few weeks I have been learning about urban farming in my class ESPM 3108. Having not heard about urban farming until this class I found it to be extremely fascinating. Never had I thought about people re-purposing vacant lots in cities into farms. This past Tuesday I went with my class on a field trip to a local urban farm called Stone's Throw Urban Farm (https://stones-throw.herokuapp.com) Here I learned first hand how they obtain and manage their land in order to produce the largest crops possible. Even though they are not an organic farm, they do not use any synthetic or chemical fertilizers, insecticides or herbicides. Instead they use lots of compost, Sustane, straw and leaf mulch, and kelp for seedlings. I also learned that they have not only 1 plot of land, but 16 to work on! That is more than I could ever hope to keep track of. Until next time!

Theresa, Landsca0pe Design and Planning