Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, September 30, 2013

Time Flies When You're Designing

Wow! I'm into my 4th week of the semester, but yet it still feels like the semester just started a week ago!

Right now in my apparel design studio class we've been working on draping, which is fantastic! It really gets you involved with the fabric and the dress forms and makes you feel like you're on Project Runway or something. Our dress project is coming due this Thursday, so the feeling of Project Runway's time crunch is definitely in the air. Below are pictures of what I've been working on. The garment itself is a test in muslin, and once I've decided the fit is perfect I'll create in in my final fabrics.

photo 1.JPG
Dress back.JPG

Time definitely flies fast in the apparel design program and you definitely won't be bored. At times, it can seem overwhelming to think about all the work that goes into my projects, but something about being in the studio and working with the fabrics and dress forms gives me energy. Then once I finish my projects and see the end result, the satisfaction of seeing it go from plain fabric to an actual dress is so gratifying and rejuvenating!

To see the final results of my dress and hear more updates about me, Go to z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and follow my blog!

Lee, Apparel Design major