Cdes header

College of Design

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

So Much To Do, So Little Time.

Man! The end of the semester sure has snuck up on me. Since I haven't talked about what's going on in my classes for awhile, I thought I'd use this blog to talk a little bit about the major remaining projects I have left for the semester. I have 5 classes this semester, but aside from a reflection and a short exam for my Mass Communication minor, my biggest concerns will be completing my final projects in Interactive Design, Identity and Symbols, and Packaging class.

In my Interactive Design class, we just finished up our second major project where I conducted research and prototyped a solution to an inconvenience associated with the UofM's course registration system. The remaining project, which I will present on May 8th, is a self chosen personal project that has spanned the length of the semester. I chose to create a responsive design framework that will be publicly available to anyone who would like to use it. This project has let me do a deep dive into something that I am passionate about and given me the motivation to make consistent progress as I work toward my goal. The official download hasn't been released yet, but it will be linked on my site when it is complete.

Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 6.56.12 AM.pngIn Identity and Symbols, we will be turning in several pieces of our major semester project. We developed an entire identity for a non-existent company of our choice over the course of the semester and will turn in a stationary system, website design, and graphic standards manual on May 9th. I chose to create the identity for an brick-oven pizza restaurant called Fucina, which means forge in Italian. The Fucina logo and wordmark seeks to convey the industrial nature of the brick oven, as well as the simplicity and authenticity of a premium pizza made with high quality ingredients.

In Packaging, our last project consists of creating a new product of our choice with an accompanying point-of-purchase display. I still have quite a bit of work to do here, but expect an update in the future!

Good luck finishing your final design projects!

Sean Mateer
Graphic Design