Cdes header

College of Design

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Lets do some Q and A

The Dean's Reception was this past weekend and I had a lot of fun meeting and chatting with some of you! I definitely enjoyed it and I hope those of you who were able to come did too! I seriously loved talking to you guys and hearing about your future goals, dreams, ideas, interests, and the questions you had about the program and the University. So for today's post, I will answer some of the questions I was asked this past weekend and hopefully bring you some understanding concerning those areas.

Q: Why did you choose to study Retail Merchandising?

A: I had an interest in business and was involved with a student group, DECA, while in high school; but I also have always been interested in fashion. So for me this major was the perfect mix of my two interests.

Q: Why study Retail Merchandising at the University of Minnesota?

A: Minneapolis is the perfect location to study Retail Merchandising because there are so many corporate retailers that are housed in the area. They often come and speak in our classes; they even collaborate with a few classes on projects. This gives us better opportunities to network and find jobs after we graduate.Winners and Target-thumb-600x338-125294-thumb-600x338-125295.jpg(This is a photo of me, some of my classmates, and the target team for visual merchandising after a competition for designing a visual merchandising layout. Photo credit: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/design/designatmn/2012/05/working-with-target-corporatio.html)

Now, some basic questions that I was asked:

Q: What dorms should I live in my Freshmen year?

A: This is a question that I discussed in a previous post; you can find it by simply clicking here.

Q: How is it difficult to get around campus, particularly, from the St. Paul campus to the Minneapolis one?

A:I have also addressed this issue in a couple different posts, which you can find by clicking here and here.