Cdes header

College of Design

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

And All the Great (ahem..free) Things in Life

Hello again!

I got older! "...More than half way to 40 years old," said one of my students. My birthday was this past weekend, so I celebrated it with a trip to Walker Art Center. The day I went was the first Saturday of the month, so my trip to the Walker was free!

Walker Art Center is one of the "big five" museums for modern art, what a prestige recognition! It is located in the heart of Minneapolis with the Sculpture Garden right next door. If the Walker is the chips, then the Sculpture Garden is definitely the salsa. They are great on their own, but they are better together. The new edition of walker that you see below was designed by a Swiss architecture firm, Herzog & de Mauron. The fa├žade is aluminum mesh panels which were designed to look like crumbled paper/fabric. Also noted, the polka dots sidewalk in front of the Walker. I'm in love!

walker.jpg
Walker Art Center, Cherry Spoon (Sculpture Garden), Green Walls in the Conservatory (Sculpture Garden)



The current exhibition at the Walker is Art, Love & Politics in the 1980s. Unexpectedly, Homeless Vehicle Project by Krzysztof Wodiczko is also on display. This great piece was created to be the voice for homeless individuals in New York City. I wrote a research paper about it in my ARCH 4150 class, so I was excited to see it in person.

hvp.jpg
Homeless Vehicle Project by Krzysztof Wodiczko


There were tons of activities going on during Walker Free First Saturday, including this Sisters' Camelot Bus. The Sisters' Camelot is a non-profit organization working to create sustainability and fight hunger in the Twin Cities. They gave out free organic vegetables and fruits with no string attached. When I asked about their intention, they said "food is a basic human need, and everyone should have access to healthy organic food." They gave me quite a bit of vegetables and bread, so I made myself a birthday meal with it. It made my day to see people working to help each other and the planet.

sister.jpg
Sisters's Camelot Bus, free organic food I got :)


food.jpg
Making organic kale and potato chips, turkey baguette with Thai cucumber salad using bread and veggies I got.



Walker Art Center & the Sculpture Garden admission: $ 0
Organic food form Sisters' Camelot organization: $ 0
Getting free stuff on your birthday: priceless


See you next blog!
Beau S., Architecture B.D.A.