Cdes header

College of Design

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy

5510674830_2cd03fc5e3_z.jpgWhat a week it has been! Instead of telling you about just one thing, I'll give you the highlights from some amazing events I attended over the last week. Last Thursday, I went to the annual Videotect screening at the Walker. Hosted by AIA-MN, Videotect had 39 entries this year, which is quite impressive for only being the second year. Architecture students that studied abroad in Japan over winter break submitted videos. If you want to get inspired, I would suggest watching all of them!

On Saturday, I attended the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize Forum on the U of M and Augsburg campuses. The day opened with a presentation from the past President of South Africa, F.W. De Klerk, who won the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize with Nelson Mandela. Jonathan Mann from the CNN International Desk moderated his question and answer session! My first workshop was about the Harry Potter Alliance. Sounds kind of silly, right? NobelForum.jpgThe Harry Potter Alliance is about fighting the Dark Arts in the real world. If you're a Harry Potter fan, you will enjoy the way this non-profit organization focuses on social justice issues. Check it out! Then I watched the Amanda Award winning film "Reunion: 10 Years After the War," which made me appreciate my life here in Minnesota. Everyone should consider taking his or her enemy to lunch to have an insightful conversation. The day ended with a video address from another Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, Aung San Suu Kyi. This event made me realize the importance of designers. How do we change the world through design? Can we change the world through play like Ze Frank, internet performance artist? (Check out his TEDtalk)

gallery_03.jpgAfter studio on Monday, I attended the first lecture in the School of Architecture Catalyst Lecture Series. Hilary Dana-Williams, a graphic designer and assistant professor at Drake University, presented her work on local food systems across the country. She uses graphic design to capture her audience and encourage them to change by presenting ideas in a certain way.

I hope these events inspire you as much as they've inspired me!

Holly
Architecture - Bachelor of Science