Cdes header

College of Design

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Welcome, future Graphic Design students!

Hello, readers/viewers! My name is Patrick Puckett, and I'm a senior in the Graphic Design and Strategic Communications programs here at the University of Minnesota. That second program I mentioned is a really cool way to say Public Relations or Advertising. Basically, next May, I'll be graduating with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the College of Design, and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the College of Liberal Arts. I'm pretty excited.

Here's a cool picture of me on the Millenium Bridge in London (the one the Death Eaters destroy in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! Fun fact: it took them over a YEAR to do the special effects for that short sequence!)

puckett_patrick.jpg

I'm from Waconia, Minnesota, which is in the southwest corner of the Twin Cities metropolitan area--about 45 minutes away from campus. The choice to come to the U of M was natural to me. I started attending the U as a junior in high school through Minnesota's PSEO program. I'd wanted to be a Gopher since I was about six years old, and I couldn't wait any longer. By my senior year of high school, I decided on Graphic Design as my first major. I started pursuing that degree in Fall 2008.

Over the next few months, I'll be maintaining this blog as a way to help people like you learn about the University of Minnesota and get as excited as I am to be here. I'll be covering a mix of things that I've experienced, things that I know exist that I've dealt less with, and sharing the information about how to access these things as I go along.

Just to tell you a little bit more about myself, I'm a fourth year member in the University of Minnesota Marching Band, and I perform with flags and rifles in the color guard. I live with three people from the band: my friends Ashley and David who play alto saxophone and clarinet, and my boyfriend Derek who is on the field staff this year. Unfortunately, he didn't make the mellophone auditions, but still wanted to be involved in the band.

If marching band is something you're interested in, you can find a link to our site in the ensembles section on the School of Music site at http://music.umn.edu.

I like to listen to music and cook (sometimes both simultaneously!) a lot. I'm not much of a movie-goer, but I do like to buy and watch movies at home! My favorite TV show WAS Brothers and Sisters, BOO ABC for cancelling it!

I'm also a member of a music service fraternity called Kappa Kappa Psi, I'm participating in the National Student Advertising Competition (sponsored by the School of Journalism and Mass Communication -- http://sjmc.umn.edu/ugrad/clubs.html), I'm in the University Honors Program (http://honors.umn.edu), and I'm sure there are some other things I'm forgetting that I'll provide links for as we go along.

I look forward to sharing my experiences with you!

Patrick